Highlighted Mexican Recipe
Page Map » Food & Drink | updated 3/28/06|
Enchiladas Verdes de Jocoque|
(Green Chile, Sour Cream Enchiladas)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 9 Corn Tortillas
- 4 cups masa harina
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cooked chicken
- 1 cup chopped green chile
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cups sour cream
1. Combine 1 cup of broth with the flour in a medium-sized saucepan. Add the remaining broth and cook on medium heat until thickened.
2. Stir the chicken, chile, and garlic salt into broth and set aside.
3. Heat 1/2 inch of shortening in a heavy pan at medium-high heat.
4. Quickly dip each tortilla into the shortening to soften. Drain on absorbent towels.
5. Combine 1 cup cheese, onion, and sour cream in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
6. Assemble the enchiladas by placing 1/4 cup of sauce on each dinner plate, followed by a tortilla, 1/4 cup of sauce, and 1/3 cup of sour cream mixture. Top with remaining sauce and cheese.
7. Place in a 350�F oven for 15 minutes, or until cheese melts.
NOTE: Traditionally, enchiladas are topped with a fried or poached egg before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Lawerence Wheeler.
Back to the Mexican Recipes