In a large Dutch oven or crock pot, place first nine ingredients. Heat to boiling and then cover and simmer for four to six hours.
Add hominy and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and cook an additional hour.
- 2 lb lean pork roast
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 onions, chopped
- 4 - 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 - 4 tbsp American chili powder
- 3 whole cloves
- 1- 3 tbsp oregano
- 6 cups water
- 4 tbsp chicken bouillon (or more, to taste)
- 2 16 ounce cans white hominy
- salt and pepper to taste Garnish:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup oregano
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup fresh serrano chiles, finely diced (hot! optional)
To serve, place each garnish in a little bowl and let everyone add whatever they want to their bowls of pozole. Sit down and chow down!
Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Recipe courtesy of the Ann Hazard of the Baja Magic site.
Back to the Mexican Recipes