This community was founded in 1680 by the Jesuit missionary, Juan Maria de Salvaterra, who later helped found the missions in the Californias. Today the mission church is well preserved and it is one of the most beautiful of the canyons.
Some 42 kilometers (25 miles) from Divisadero is located the old mission community of Cerocahui, accessible by the Chihuahua al Pacifico train from the Bahuichivo station, then 18 kilometers (11 miles) to the town. |
Cerocahui's 17th century mission
Nearby is beautiful Yepáravo Cascade which can be visited by horseback. Local guides are available in town. The town offers a few hotels and simple services.